Ordinary Lives Don’t Bleed: What an extraordinary life will require in 2026
Yesterday was disruptive in the best possible way. Not chaotic, not loud, just the kind of disruption that quietly rearranges you from the inside. In the middle of it all, one line kept echoing in my spirit, a line from the ruckus himself: Ordinary lives don’t bleed and that’s the point. (Olakunle Soriyan 2025)
It stayed with me longer than I expected, so today I am writing from there.
There is something about a new year that shifts our psychology. A simple change in calendar nomenclature and suddenly hope feels lighter, courage feels closer, and possibility feels more accessible. We call it a reset. A chance to recalibrate, realign goals and plans, and frame the reality we desire for the next three hundred and sixty five days.
Goals are written. Visions are cast. Intentions are declared.
But what often goes unspoken is this. Most people plan for outcomes without planning for what those outcomes will demand of them. We focus on what we want to have while paying far less attention to who we will need to become.
We rarely prepare for the internal shifts that must happen, the resistance that will surface, the capacity that must expand, and the discomfort that will inevitably follow. We do not plan for the stretching. We do not plan for the bleeding.
The truth is simple. The larger the goal, the greater the exposure to bleed. Ordinary lives do not bleed. Extraordinary ones do.
There is a saying that a general without scars has never truly been to war. Scars are not signs of incompetence. They are evidence of engagement, of leadership under pressure, of staying present in the fight. In the same way, a life without stretching often signals safety, not significance.
Alignment does not remove this reality. Being aligned does not make the journey painless. It makes you prepared. Alignment trains your response. It teaches you how to interpret pressure without panic and how to remain steady when growth begins to hurt.
As you set ambitious goals for 2026, consider wrapping them around becoming. When becoming is prioritized, doing and having begin to follow naturally.
One thing I did differently this year was delay writing out my goals. I waited. I listened. I stayed still. I allowed certain voices to speak into me and allowed clarity to settle. When I finally wrote things down, I kept it simple, three determinants for each key area of my life.
Not because I was thinking small, but because clarity carries weight.
A billion dollar goal comes with billion dollar responsibility and billion dollar challenges. This is not billion dollar sorrow. The blessings of God make rich and add no sorrow. But they do introduce new demands, new responsibilities, new pressures, new mistakes, and new opportunities to bleed.
There will be moments filled with laughter that still carry a quiet ache. Bliss that comes wrapped in pressure. Celebration paired with confusion. Outward fulfillment alongside inward questions. None of this means something is wrong. Often it means something is working.
In seasons like this, do not walk alone. Surround yourself with teachers and mentors. Crave counsel even when you feel sure. Spend more time within than without, because precision flows from the spirit. Worship more. Love more. Give more. Serve more.
If you are like me, stepping into the afternoon season of life, the second set of twenty five years, embrace it fully. Learn deeply. Earn wisely. Consolidate what you have built. Take risks. Build again. Gain exposure. Spend time with those who have gone ahead of you and position yourself to receive what cannot be taught, only transferred.
I did not intend for this to be long, so I will return to the center.
Ordinary lives do not bleed and that is precisely the point.
As you pursue an extraordinary life in 2026, do not panic at the bleeding. Do not misinterpret it. Do not retreat because of it. Sometimes bleeding is not a warning sign. Sometimes it is the clearest evidence that you are finally engaged in the work required to live beyond the ordinary.

Comments
Post a Comment